Followers

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dennis

It’s nearly 24 hours since I arrived back from an eight-day business trip in Manila. I feel like in a state of euphoria finding it hard to believe that for such a short period of time and in the midst of my hectic schedule, I saw my kids, I met up some relatives, had a good night out with friends, and most of all, accomplished the little promise made to a special friend. This friend is Dennis.

It was six months ago, on my annual vacation when I met him outside a dimly-lit bar somewhere in Manila. While anxiously waiting for the bar to open for his job interview, he sat idly on the cemented step just in front of it. It was where our paths crossed. I invited him to the adjacent bar and over a few bottles of beer, we unraveled a little of ourselves. There was an instant mutual feeling of being “connected”. That night, something intimate happened.

Dennis was the youngest of twelve siblings. Being such, it was no surprise that he was overly dependent and overprotected. He admitted that his older sister knew all his affairs, would read his personal text messages, scolds foolhardy text mates and friends, and decides if he should go out with a friend or not. Any person who doesn’t know him would probably laugh at the thought of a big, well-built, basketball hunk in total subservience to the decree of his sister. And since we became friends, I earned his sister’s trust. I considered it a special privilege. Unlike his other friends or girlfriends, she would allow Dennis to come with me, even if it means staying overnight anywhere I go.

The very reason why Dennis came to Manila was because he needed a job – desperately. Thinking that nothing better could befall him in his province, he decided to finally embark to the big city, in his words, “to change his life”. When he learned that I work abroad, there was a spark in his eyes.

“You know Mike, I really want to work there. I am fed up of my life being so dependent on my family, especially my sister. I am already ashamed. At 23, I want to stand on my own feet, prove to my brothers, sisters and everyone else that I can be my own person; that I can be independent. I hope you can help me” he said his eyes pleading.

Those words I didn’t really take seriously. I have a notorious “Good Samaritan” record among friends for pirating them into my company but those were made easy because they were all qualified and they held licenses in their respective fields. But in Dennis’ case, I was a bit skeptical. He only finished two years of college, and from a course not directly related to the usual job openings in my company. But since my company is maintaining a basketball team, one of the best in the Middle East, I thought that his chances could fall in that category. “OK, I’ll try my best, but no promises. First, we have to wait for the next schedule of hiring, and second, you need to have all your documents ready. Then I’ll keep you posted of the next step.”

“Really? You will help me?”

“Yeah, but I tell you, just give it your best shot and don’t expect anything. Landing on a foreign job is also a matter of luck. Some people spend a lot of money, time, and energy only to end up becoming prey to recruitment vultures. But you can always try. With my company, you won’t fear anything because I am here, and everything in our recruitment is free. With that, you already have the edge. But then again, this is not a guarantee that things will be easy. If you are meant to work there, you’ll get there come what may.”

“I am willing to try and take chances, Mike, and to undergo all the sacrifices. But please, I need you to be there for me.”

“I’ll do my best!”

Since then, Dennis and I became close, in fact, so close that we decided to move our relationship on to the next level, fondly calling each other “Babes”. And our relations were never a secret to my son Josh and Dennis’ sister who would sometimes send me text messages to check on him. When I finally came back abroad, the bond seemed to keep stronger. There was never a day without Dennis sending me sweet nothings on texts. At certain times I would call him up, just so we could hear each other’s voices.

A few months later, my company decided to recruit 30 new employees to fill up different positions. My boss told me that I had to go as part of the recruitment team to conduct the interview. Immediately, I called up Dennis. “Babes, we have an upcoming opening and the interview starts on the 15th.”

“Really Babes?”

“Yeah, and if you have all your documents ready, proceed to the agency. I already told my contact to let you take the exams and include your name in the lineup.”

“Ok babes, I will be there. Thank you!” he replied showing off his excitement.

“Don’t thank-you me yet. There are still a lot of things to do.” I cut. “And to give you moral support, I will be home prior to the interview to accompany you to the agency.” I said kind of teasing, not wanting him to directly know I was one of the interviewers.

“Really? You will do that for me?”

“Yeah, I’ll do it for you”

“But you just came from a vacation...?”

“Don’t worry, I’m allowed.”

“Ah, gosh! I’m sooooo happy babes. So I will wait for you here? I am really so excited to see you back! By the way, for how long you will be staying here babes?”

“Just 8 days...”

“Wahhhh... 8 days only? Why is that?”

“That’s what my boss allows. So, it’s better than nothing, don’t you think so?”

“Ah... ok. To think that it coincides with my application, I have no complaints babes. Yessss!” He cheered in total excitement.

“Ok, and just as I said, give your best shot during the tests and the interview. I will be there to help you out.”

“Whatever you say, babes, you’re the boss!”

The day came and I could not contain my excitement when the plane touched down at the NAIA. After I and my co-interviewers had checked-in at a Makati Hotel, I hurried to ask a nephew to pick up my son, Josh and his little sister to come to the hotel. Upon entering the room, I could see Josh’s eyes widened. Seeing me in the flesh lying on the bed was probably the last thing in his mind. He seemed lost for words and was a little confused.

“Eyyy! Will you just be staring at me?” I kidded.

Josh and her little sister rushed up and gave me a hug. “You didn’t tell us dad!”

“Of course... it’s meant to be a surprise!” We all laughed.

After that exciting reunion, I and the kids went shopping. It was about 7 pm when my kids went back home and I texted Dennis saying I was waiting for him at the bar where we first met. He arrived an hour later. When he approached me, there was a huge grin on his face. It’s like there was something he had been missing for ages and just found it at that moment.

I extended my hand for a grip. But he gave me a big hug. “Ah... this bar” he smiled. “How can I forget this place?”

I just stared at him. He still looked the same, those tantalizing eyes, the inviting lips, and the infectious smile...

“What?” He asked; his eyes in total amazement at my inquiring stare and seemingly peculiar silence.

“Nothing. I just can’t believe you are here with me tonight, and in this place where I first saw you. It’s so...”

“Sentimental?” He cut. He stood up, sat beside me, and laid his arm over my shoulder. “I miss you very much babes... I am so happy to see you back” he said his lips so close as if about to kiss my cheek.

I turned my face, fearing other people would notice what he was doing. “So, let’s drink to it!” I said as I raised a bottle of beer.

That night, as my two kids and a nephew were with me, Dennis just dropped me off to my suite. But we had a good night out and a nice dinner-bonding with the five of us. He left the hotel at around 2 am.

The following day was my first stretch of hectic work-day. As Josh’s mom informed me that the kids won’t be coming that night, I messaged Dennis to come and stay overnight. It was a perfect timing; his preliminary interview would be the next day, and the hotel was just a stone throw away from the interview venue.

Ten pm and Dennis arrived. “Hi!” I greeted as I opened the door hastily and then headed back towards the edge of the bed. I sat there excitedly facing him.

He did not say anything. He just closed the door and trailed me. In front of me, he dropped haphazardly his black shoulder bag, knelt down and gripped me in his arms. “Babes, I miss you so much...!”

I looked him in the eyes. It was like I floated on the seventh heaven and things happened so quickly. We kissed wildly, grabbed each other’s body like we’ve yearned each other for ages, and rolled together chaotically on the bed. Finally, there was nothing in between us and we filled the room with our moans and our raging emotions... until our cravings consumed us completely.

When we were done, I offered him some bottles of beer. “Ah, this is one of the best things I missed.” I said my eyes transfixed on him. “There’s nothing like this abroad. Can you stand for one solid year without this?” I insinuated to make him think twice of his application.

“I can stand everything babes, just to prove that I deserve this job and I am strong enough to stand on my own two feet. Besides, if others made it, then why can’t I?”

“You’re right.” I encouraged. “But are you ready for what will happen to you with your interview tomorrow?”

“I am a little nervous... but there’s no turning back. I know that getting into this interview is already a big break for me. Imagine, I am short of the required qualifications and yet I would go there with the other qualified and licensed applicants to face the interviewers? What are my chances?

I pretended not to hear anything. I took my bottle and gulped.

He continued. “I know that without your help, I wouldn’t be able to come this far, babes. I can’t afford to take your effort for granted.” He released a deep sigh. “Do you think I will get to the magic 10, babes?” alluding to the number which we were going to hire for the category he was applying.

“Trust me...”

“Trust? You mean there is still something you can do for me after you’ve asked your contact to include me in this pre-qualification interview?”

“Yeah.” I said casually.

“Hahahaha! This is just plain encouragement, right babes?” He asked; kind of confused hearing what I just said. “I will be out there by myself, and the interviewers will toss all kinds of stupid questions which I may not have any idea how the hell to answer, and here you are telling me there is still something you can do?”

I took another gulp and paused. “Babes, I can understand your fear. But I will ask you: Are you 100% decided to work abroad despite the perceived hardships there?”

“Of course...”

“And why?”

“This is for my future babes. I’m 23 now and I want to see myself independent and able to look to the future with security... I can’t be depending on my sister for the rest of my life.”

“Even if it means you have to work really hard, face homesickness, change your lifestyle, and live in one of the most hostile environment on the planet?”

“Yeah, I am willing to face all those challenges, babes. I think that physically and emotionally, I am ready for that.”

“Then, consider yourself hired.” I said nonchalantly.

Dennis gave me a puzzled look, his browses met in disbelief, and his mouth on the verge of bursting into laughter.

“What?!” I snapped noticing his sharp and seemingly intimidating look.

“You are kidding me, right?”

“No.”

“Then what purpose does the interview serve if I’m already hired?”

“Why? Are you afraid of the interview?”

“To the max!”

“Then fear no more.”

“Why is that?”

“You have just been interviewed!”

“Hahahaha!” He burst into a huge laughter. “Don’t kid me babes, I’m gonna believe you, promise!”

“So believe me then. I’m not kidding”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m one of the interviewers!”

“Shittt! You really want to get me for a ride, huh!”

“You don’t really believe me, do you?”

“No...”

“Ok, why do you think I’m here?”

“Coz you want to support me and accompany me to the interview? That’s what you told me, right?”

“Why in this expensive, 200-dollar a day suite, and not just in any ordinary hotel?”

“Coz you want to impress me?”

“Hahahaha!” I blurted. “Nice answer, but, I’m not impressed... huh! And remember, never – and I mean NEVER – will I impress anyone with something superficial. I am not that rich and stupid, babes to waste my hard-earned money to simply profligate and impress. Read my lips – this is not my money. It’s not my type to lure people to stick to me by making them believe I have something lavish to offer… I prefer the friends who stick around in my times of adversity, coz I would do the same to them.”

“That is why I love you babes, because you are humble, generous, and sincere…”

“So, does that mean you believe me now?”

“Nope.”

“Ok!” I stood up, kind of annoyed and took my files. “How about this – list of applicants scheduled for interview tomorrow. Look! Your name is here, and you are in number 13! And here… a memorandum from my boss regarding the guidelines and procedures of hiring applicants plus the names of the interviewers, and my name is there. Don’t these convince you yet?”

I could see Dennis’ face reddened, his eyes widened. “Wahhh! You are an interviewer!”

“I told you, idiot!” I blurted.

“Ahhhh, so stupid of me.” He exclaimed scratching his head. “Why didn’t I think about that? You’re really full of surprises babes! Yesterday, you surprised your kids when you showed up to them and now, you got me too!”

“I love surprises”

“I hate it – arrrrgggh!” as he stood playfully running and jumping around for a minute. He sat back beside me, drew his face towards mine. “So, did you just say I’m hired?”

“I changed my mind...”

“Arrggggggghhhhhhh!” He covered his face with his hand, dropped himself onto the bed and curled up.

“That’s the price for not trusting enough.”

Silence.

“Hey, I’m kidding, ok?” I retracted.

He reached out for my hand, pulled me into the bed beside him. “I love you babes... and with what you just said, do you know you are my idol?”

“Because I am your interviewer, and am ready to hire you?”

“No… not that!” He was kind of piqued. “It’s because, you are a down-to-earth person. If it could be other people, they would have bragged about it, announced it to everyone, and surely would give me a 100% assurance already. But you kept it from me, telling me instead to do my best, making me really work hard. And I did – in my tests and this interview. I did what you told me, not knowing I could have ignored everything.” He said as he caressed my cheek.

I just looked at him. My mind was pondering at the thought of him beside me on the bed: a huge, good-looking hunk, so powerful if not invincible and proud, lying there in total subservience to everything I say and in the process, allowing me to unmask his vulnerable side. I returned his caresses.

“Babes…” He whispered, his eyes staring at me. “Please don’t be angry about this question.”

“Go ahead” I whispered back.

“Why are you doing this to me?”

“What?”

“Your helping me. Why are you so good to me?”

“Remember when I met you at that bar and we became friends after something happened? I promised to help you, right?”

“Is that it; only because you made a promise?”

“Yeah, and because I feel that you deserve my help.”

“And...?”

“And you are a good friend.”

“And...?”

“And my... boyfriend?” I said a bit awkwardly.

He released a timid, oblivious smile showing off his satisfaction with my answer. His eyes searched every minute detail in my face; his fingers twiddled on my cheek. “But sometimes, I don’t understand.”

“What?”

“When I say ‘I love you’ in my text messages, you just ignore it... Don’t you love me?”

“Ah… ” I felt like I was doused with cold water and my mood suddenly turned serious. I tried to gather my thoughts, released a faint smile and said, “I want to keep a distance, babes. I don’t want to live in a world of fantasy and make-believe. I know that a relationship like this won’t last forever. You are young, you have your dreams. And whether I like it or not, I don’t belong in that dream. Sooner or later, you will find the person whom you deserve; someone better; someone who can make your life complete, give you a family, kids to take care. I admit that I like it when you tell me you love me. How I wished you could continue saying that to me for the rest of your life. But I know that it is impossible. A time will always come when you start to ask serious questions, embark to find your dreams, and leave me behind. When that happens, there is nothing to do but thank that at one point in my life, I had you and you made me happy. Better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all... they say. I think that is true. And I don’t want to be caught off-guarded. I have been into this kind of relationship many times. Every parting is so excruciating it always leaves a mark. I cried buckets of tears – many times over...” I paused. “But, the good thing about it is that it made me become a stronger and a wiser person. And I learned a lesson: friendship. It lasts, babes… and it’s all I want us to be – forever friends. Whatever happens, I am always there for you, to support and guide you, as your friend. And when one day you will have already found your dream, I want to be there too, to celebrate with you, to feel the beauty and the meaning of life…” I gasped for a deep sigh and I felt my tears rolled down. “Now you understand why I sometimes ignore your ‘I Love You’ message. It’s not because I don’t love you, babes. I just don’t want to trust my feelings so much.”

Dennis passionately wiped with his fingers the tears in my cheek. Then he whispered. “I just realized how lucky I am to have you babes; not just because of your help and kind-heartedness, but because of what you have made of yourself. And I love you more for everything that you are; for being a broad-minded person, for being so understanding, for being so kind, for being so nice. I don’t know if I will ever find someone like you.”

I could not describe the feeling hearing those words from him. All I knew was that I had become open to the possibility of us parting and I was willing to let go when one day, he decides to spread his wings and search for his happiness.

I did not move nor answer him anymore. I just allowed him to give me a hug as his lips searched mine. We kissed. We held each other tightly. We made love like we never did before.

The interview day came. Prior to it, I instructed Dennis never to reveal my name in case he was asked if he knew of anyone in my company. It was because it was a company policy to select as much as possible, candidates who were never connected or related in any way with any active employee.

“Ok, no sweat!” was Dennis’ assurance.

It was nearly 1 pm when Dennis’ turn for the panel interview came. As he entered the interview room, I could feel his nervousness. I normally shoot the introductory questions but at that time, I seemed lost for something to ask. I was so nervous for him. I was like being pinned down to my seat and got petrified in total fright.

Sensing probably that I failed to fire my usual introductory salvo and noticing the huge stature standing in front of us, my colleague interceded, “Take your seat please... You play basketball?”

“Yes Sir” Dennis replied in a somewhat nervous tone.

“Good one?”

“Hmm… Yes, Sir”

“What is your position in the team? What is your average score per game? Can you mention of any known personality with whom you have already played with? Do you have any specific technique which you can share in playing basketball...?” The questions just seemed endless.

Despite the torturous barrage, there was some satisfaction on my part realizing that my colleague unwittingly highlighted his basketball skills. Since we needed reinforcements in our company team, “It could be a plus point for him” I cheered deep down.

But my happiness was suddenly interrupted when the other colleague asked, “Do you know of anyone in this company?”

Dennis could not immediately answer. “A, er…” He gagged and I could see his face turning pale.

When Dennis turned his head to my direction and saw his eyes pleading for me to intercede, I felt my heart throbbed faster and my face seemed to turn paper-white too. “Just answer the damn question, Dennis!” my head screamed.

“A, er... Mr. Mike Sir!” pointing at me.

I almost fell from my chair with the unexpected answer. “Arrgggh! Busted! Busted!” my mind protested.

But my two colleagues burst in laughter as I joined them half-heartedly and nervously. “You’ve got a very strong backer here, huh!” One of my colleagues remarked.

“Ok, I have no more questions!” the two interviewers said looking at me and proceeded to jot down their marks.

I felt a sigh of relief. With my eyes threatening, I motioned to Dennis that I have no more questions and that he had to hurriedly disperse or else...

Dennis understood my body language and immediately obliged.

When the interview was over, Dennis messaged me from the holding room. “Babes, I am still nervous, I’m sorry to have mentioned your name. It’s hard for me to tell lies; it makes me all the more nervous...”

“Yeah, I saw your frightened-to-death face, and my hands were trembling to strangle your neck right there in front of my colleagues!”

“Hehehe. Really sorry for that gaffe babes. But did I manage to make it to the final interview?”

“How could you not? You are wearing my pants, I ironed your clothes this morning, you curled up in bed with me last night... You think it’s easy? Where in the whole wide world can you find an applicant doing just what you did?”

“Hehehehe. I’m so ashamed. How did the other interviewers rate me?”

“They rated you at rank 6 and 7 respectively and me, I placed you at rank 8”

“You gave me the lowest?”

“I should – dammit! You screwed up and you got me busted. I should have eliminated you in my list.” I teased. “No, seriously, I don’t want to get very obvious, babes.”

“A owkies. I understand…”

As expected, Dennis passed in the final interview even improving his overall ranking to the top 5 slot. Now that I am back abroad, the last message he sent me was that he was already arranging his passport and then next, the medical. He is so excited.

My son, Josh, has no problem too knowing that Dennis will be coming over. In fact, Just a few minutes ago, he texted me asking, “Dad, when is Kuya Dennis coming?”

“I don’t know, son; maybe in a week or two? Why did you ask? Don’t you want Kuya Dennis to be with me here?”

“It’s ok dad. He seems to be a nice person.”

Any time soon, God willing, Dennis’ desire to land himself a job abroad will be realized. And I am glad that he made it during my eight short days of stay in Manila. It was like a dream; I closed my eyes and there I was in my home country – and with him; when I woke up, I was suddenly alone, back to reality.

But that dream was something I could never forget; for in it was a story about a love, about a friendship, and about a fulfilled promise. And that fulfilled promise changed forever the life of one special friend. Dennis...

3 comments:

  1. its show what love can sacrifice.. and i feel for mike he is so intelligent person and kind.. he is so open minded person.. i salute him for being thoughtful and strong for his feelings.. love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute naman ng story nyo ni babes mo hehehe.... gusto ko malaman ang kasalukuyan... siguro magkasama na kayo.... at di pa rin nagbabago ang pagtitinginan nyo....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope i think d cla nagka2luyan ni sir mike base sa isa nyang story na SI KING AT ANG ALARM...ngkgalit cla ni dennis dahil sa babae...sna nkhnap ka sir mike ng 2nay na pgmmhal

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW US

Follow us in
- Friendster: www.friendster.com/msob
- Twitter: twitter.com/msoblue
- Facebook

Add michaelshadesofblue as your friend in facebook, friendster, and twitter: juha.michael@gmail.com

Disclaimer

All images and videos in this site are copyrights of their respective owners and "MSOB" claims no credit unless otherwise acknowledged. If you own the rights to any of the images or videos and do not wish them to appear on this site please, contact us at getmybox@hotmail.com and the items in question will be promptly removed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails